The Miami Dolphins and the NFL's other 31 teams must trim their rosters to 53 players by today at 6 pm ET. Miami began the day with 75 players on the active roster which means they must release 22 in order to reach the league's 53-man limit.
While beginning to decide on final cuts yesterday following the preseason finale, the Dolphins brought in six players for a tryout. The list includes wide receivers Da'Rick Rogers, K.J. Stroud, Jared Green, offensive tackles Nic Purcell and Jason Weaver along with defensive tackle Al Lapuaho. None have yet to be signed to a contract.
Keep in mind that even if a player makes it through today's cuts it does not mean they made the team. If they are on the roster bubble they can easily be replaced prior to next week's regular season opener.
Below is the list of 22 players cut by the Dolphins today:
Jonas Gray, RB
Chris Barker, OL
Sam Brenner, OL
Julian Posey, CB
Kyle Miller, TE
Chad Bumphis, WR
Brian Tyms, WR
De'Andre Presley, CB
Tracy Robertson, DT
Tristan Okpalaugo, DE
Jordan Kovacs, S
Marvin McNutt, WR
A.J. Francis, DT
Keenan Davis, WR
Andrew McDonald, OT
Kheeston Randall, DT
Austin Spitler, LB
Lee Robinson, LB
Keelan Johnson, S
Jeff Adams, OT
Aaron Corp, QB
Antwan Applewhite, LB
- With the release of Chad Bumphis, it ensures that Marcus Thigpen will be the primary kick returner this year.
- Miami currently has only four wide receivers on the roster. They will likely look to add at the position on Sunday off the waiver wire.
- The Dolphins elected to lose depth at defensive tackle and instead kept eleven defensive backs. Not too surprising given the secondary is a position with a lot of question marks.
- Third string quarterback Pat Devlin made the team. Not an expected decision but it might not last much longer as it is a waste of a roster spot unless the Dolphins see long term potential in him.
- De'Andre Presley's fourth quarter intereption against the Saints to seal the victory wasn't enough to save his roster spot.
- Miami has exactly 53 players on the roster. If a waiver wire addition is made tomorrow a corresponding cut must follow.
@zoeman86 Both Gray and Okpalaugo can be signed to the practice squad.
Why cut player that can help dolphins win games put two and two together and bumphis he aonther chris chambers why cut him really I want see this players make plays on the field not the practice squad
If miami sign these play maker to practice squad it okay with me week one will tell it all but jeff is on the hot seat
@zoeman86 He's not on the hot seat because of these cuts, no proven talent was lost today. Some of these decisions could have been based on moves that will be coming tomorrow on the waiver wire.
@zoeman86 There were a lot of players ahead of them on the depth charts at their respective positions. Even if they made the 53 they wouldn't have made much of an impact this season.
How jeff going to cut player that been working so hard and played better then Mcnutt and how thigpen played bad, but Brain Tyms and chad bumphis played better then Mcnutt j jeff ireland ur fired I want ur stuff out the office by tonight ross said ur fired get out
For all the Pats fans out there,i did some checking into the pats fins all time series.you want to talk how pats have Dominated the past 10 or so years.The all time series is Dolphins49 wins the Pats 44.You have dominated for that many years its true,what was the record before,and who has really dominated who? that has been the trouble with pats fans only 10 years or so,not long enough to act like you have been there before! your run may not end this year but you know it getting close,the walls are cracking!
the fins are going to regret cutting Jonas Gray so bad when Daniel Thomas goes back to his old ways,hurt concussion.and Jonas is playing for the Jets or Pats and killing us.stupid move,stupid,stupid,stupid!!!!!!!!!!!