As day 119 of the NFL lockout looms over us, it certainly hasn’t been easy for NFL bloggers to come up with entertaining and insightful material. This summer has been filled with dry news along with quite honesty lame rumors. We have had many spurts of excitement in hopes that this dreadful lockout would end but in reality, each glimmer of hope would turn out to be mere disappointment.
So on this 118th day we continue to pray that the powers that be END THIS LOCKOUT. The buzz around the NFL world is that we are suffering the final days before the lockout will in fact end within the next week or so. That being said, let’s take a look at a couple of things that NFL and Dolphins' fans should think about this upcoming week.
1) Lockout News: July 15th?? New important dates of the NFL lockout.
Originally the all important date in terms of the lockout was July 15th. July 15th was suppose to be the final day in which the NFL could salvage the pre-season, therefore not having to reduce the revenue pool between the NFLPA and NFL.
The July 15th date most likely will not be hit. Now, don’t be too pessimistic and hear me out. Recent breaking news from Chris "Mort" Mortensen and Adam Schefter indicated that the there SHOULD be an agreement within 7 to 10 days to end the lockout. It might be hard to take that news with an open mind, however, it does seem like it is an overall consensus in the NFL world.
All that being said, these are a couple of important potential dates to look forward to:
• July 1 (July 21): Educate the clubs on the news league rules and allow voluntary training for teams and agents.
• July 5 (July 25): Sign undrafted rookies, as well as give free agents a chance to re-sign with their teams.
• July 8 (July 28): League year starts and free agency begins.
• July 13 (Aug. 2): Rosters must be set at 90 players.
• July 14 (Aug. 3): Deadline for restricted free agents to sign offer sheets.
• July 18 (Aug. 7): A four-day match period for teams to match restricted free-agent offer sheets.
Now don’t get TOO excited because we have been let down before, BUT this is certainly encouraging news.